Bakers Anonymous family, yesterday I turned 23 years old. This is my fourth birthday with you, and only the second one that I’m celebrating here, so I wanted to do something special (and include a little bit of Easter and Spring). These cookies, which I dubbed “happy birthday cookies,” contain mini chocolate chips, coconut, coconut MnM’s and cream cheese, creating a bright, flavorful cheesecake-like cookie that’s just perfect for your Easter dinners or birthday party.
I used Funfetti cake mix, one of my favorite mixes because of the sprinkles and the light texture. I know that there’s already a Funfetti cookie recipe from Pillsbury (and I’ve made that one), but those cookies come out dry when not paired with frosting. These are an excellent alternative while still retaining the original Funfetti essence.
Happy Birthday Cookies
1 box of Funfetti cake mix
1/2 C butter
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
1 tsp. pure almond extract
1 C Baker’s Angel Flake coconut
2/4 C mini chocolate chips
1 bag of egg-shaped coconut MnM’s (for Easter!)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Using the microwave, soften up the cream cheese and butter in a mixing cup, 30 seconds.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the egg and the almond extract.
4. Beat in the cream cheese and butter. Slowly add the cake mix in, beating until the cake mix is thoroughly incorporated.
5. Stir in (do NOT beat in) the coconut and mini chocolate chips.
6. Drop the cookie dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheet. Use the back of the measuring spoon flatten out the cookie slightly.
7. Place an MnM in the center (I put MnM’s on only half of the dough balls).
8. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes. Cookies will be slightly soft. Transfer to wire cooling racks lined with foil. Cookies will set up as they cool.
Makes three dozen cookies.