Sometimes here at Bakers Anonymous, we like things to be simple and thought-free. Okay, all of the time, which is why I was so intrigued by the Betty Crocker FUN da-Middles cupcake mix. It may have a terribly cheesy name, but who doesn’t love the thought of a no-frost cupcake? And a cupcake with filling, at that!
The box comes with a package of mix and a packet of thick filling. There are three different varieties of the mix: chocolate cupcake with vanilla filling (which you see here), vanilla with chocolate filling, and vanilla with vanilla filling (apparently people like vanilla more than chocolate. So sad!).
The ingredients are the same as any other cake mix – eggs, water, and oil. The filling is pre-made, so there’s nothing to add to it. This mix only produces 12 chocolate cupcakes.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place in the paper baking cups.
2. Prepare the mix according to the directions.
3. Carefully fill each of the cups about one-third full, making sure the entire bottom is covered.
4. Squeeze the filling package about 20 or so times to warm up the filling and make it squeeze-able. Evenly distribute the filling between the 12 cups, making sure that it DOES NOT touch the sides.
5. Layer the rest of the batter on top of the filling, and then bake for about 35 minutes.
6. Let the cupcakes cool before you bite into them. THE FILLING WILL BE EXTREMELY HOT. (Speaking from experience, here.)
These cupcakes are actually very moist and the cake is delicious, but while they may look like Hostess cupcakes minus the chocolate frosting and little white squiggly on top, the filling isn’t anything amazing or true vanilla tasting. I’d give these three stars for the ease of baking and the ability to taste delicious even without frosting!
Niki’s Note: I don’t think these Betty Crocker commercials have ever aired, but be sure to check out all three videos. They sure are weird!