I saw “State of Play” tonight, and I was blown away by the phenomenal acting of Russell Crowe (“A Beautiful Mind”) and Rachel McAdams (“The Notebook”). It was a strongly written script based off of a BBC television show by the same name, although my boyfriend and I agree that the soundtrack was odd and didn’t match with the movie.
Now, the cookies I baked have nothing to do with the movie, but they do continue my “theme” of using as much chocolate as possible. I also included toffee pieces (look familiar?). I found that the use of German chocolate cake mix provided a much milder chocolate taste and allowed the additions to shine, instead of being lost in the cookies.
German Chocolate Toffee Cookies
1 box German chocolate cake mix
1/2 C butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 C milk chocolate chips
1/3 C toffee pieces (optional; substitute for whatever you want!)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the butter, vanilla, and eggs until smooth. Add the cake mix until completely absorbed.
3. Stir in the chocolate chips and toffee pieces. Dough might be stiff and tough to stir.
4. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls onto a lined cookie sheet.
5. Bake cookies for about 14-16 minutes, or until the cookies are “set” to the touch. Place on a rack to cool.
Niki’s Note (added 04/24/09): I made these refreshing ice cream sandwiches with two of these cake-like cookies and a whole scoop of Turkey Hill choco mint chip – my favorite! 🙂